Home > Daily News, HF, Home Brew > Wet Season Balun Woes

Wet Season Balun Woes

When I first got my F call, I built a G5RV antenna which I eventually modified to ZS6BKW. I learned a great deal along the way including the importance of having a 1:1 Current Balun on the connection between coax and open wire feed line for this antenna. I made the balun to fit inside a metal box because I wanted the best RF shielding I could get. Over some time corrosion and wear and tear meant I had to replace the balun. When I built the new balun I decided to do a much neater job with the terminal posts for the 450 ohm ladder line. Unfortunately the best laid plans oft go awry. It turns out the new terminals short to the metal case when there is a great deal of rain. So today I spent quite a bit of time trying to build better insulation into the terminations.

Advertisements
Categories: Daily News, HF, Home Brew
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: